Tuesday 25 February 2014

The best of A Greedy Piglet - Fish and Rice #1 - Kedgeree

This post is from November 2011 - I was talking about my gallstones back then. So that is now 2 years and I still have the damned things. Fingers crossed this is the LAST YEAR I have to talk about them, and worry all the time about what I can or can't eat. Moan over...

....................

Did I tell you that apparently I have gallstones? That would explain the nasty pain running in a straight line from my breastbone to between my shoulderblades then... :(

Lots of things are making my innards play up, mainly red meat and anything fatty. But Fish and Rice seem pretty safe. And there really are quite a lot of things you can do with fish and rice.





One of my all time favourites is Kedgeree, and I promised @ladytubedriver and @masamitsusato that I would tell them how I usually make it. I am sure it can be made a lot more complicated, but at the end of the day, I am only interested in making a tasty dinner, not competing for Masterchef!

So I make it like this, quantities are pretty adjustable according to how many people you are feeding, how hungry you are, and what you have in the fridge..:



Ingredients
  • Basmati or similar long grained rice
  • Chopped onions
  • Flaked cooked smoked fish
  • Hard Boiled eggs - cut into large chunks
  • Spices - curry powder, whole spices if you like.
  • Chopped parsley
  • Lemon Juice
  • Cooked frozen peas (optional, but I like them! )
  • Lump of butter
Instructions
  1. Cook the long grain rice. Basmati for preference. One and a half handfuls per person, just cooked, kept warm over steam in a sieve.
  2. Hard boil the eggs - one or two per person, only just hard boiled, so about 9 mins for medium eggs.
  3. Poach the fish if you are using fresh smoked haddock or cod. Take any skin off, check for bones and flake into big chunks. You can also use smoked mackerel, skin that, and break it into pieces. Again check for bones. Prawns can be added too if you are feeling extravagant.
  4. Allow half an onion per person. Chop finely and fry in a little oil (or frylight if you are cutting your oils right down as I am). Once it is nicely soft but not brown or crisp, add a teaspoonful of curry powder (which ever one you like - I like to use garam masala) and a splash of water. Saute until you have a nice aroma, and the water is evaporated. I find adding a little water helps to stop the spices scorching.
  5. Add the rice to the onions, turn it in the spicy mixture, taste and adjust the seasoning. Add the fish, and turn the heat right down, allow the fish to heat through. Add the peas if you are using them. Stir the parsley through and add a squeeze of lemon and a nice lump of butter (as much or as little as you like, but I think it needs just a little bit even if you are keeping your fats down). Put the lid on, and let it sit on a very low heat for a few minutes until piping hot.

It really is simple, you can add or take away anything you like, but to call it a kedgeree you need it to have
  • smoked fish
  • rice
  • eggs
  • curry
Yum yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment